What's going on here?

I'm really starting to wonder what's going on these days, particularly with kids. I've seen countless examples in the last week of kids behaving horribly. The most recent was last night. My mom and I were sitting in her car chatting before I went home after we met for a glass of wine.

Suddenly there's a LOUD bang and we whip around to see a group of pre-teens loafing by the car. I don't think they saw us in there, but regardless, why would you just smack a random person's car that hard? I mean, we hadn't done anything to them and well, we were pretty sure they dented the car. When they saw us, they started to move more quickly and as my mom shouted, "Excuse me, what are you doing?" another one kicked the car and several of them started moving toward us. It was a tad bit frightening and really got me thinking...

Why are a lot of kids acting more and more like this these days? Is it bad modeling on the part of adults? Yes, I think so. Is it a lack of supervision and mentoring to these kids by adults, especially their parents? Yes, I think that also. However, I think there is something more than that going on and I really would like to hear input on what others think it is and how we (well, me, since I can only really be responsible for my own behavior) can change this trend. It is quite disturbing to me.

Now I couch this in the statement that I know not all kids are acting this way and that there are lots of good kids out there, but it just seems like there is more of a disregard for other people present in the youth of today and that's NOT good.

In other news, work is still super busy and my boss is on vacation, so there's even more for us to do around here. It's OK though, I'm still liking it and trying to keep my head above water, that's about all I can do. I've been working on some stuff at home (photos and scrapbooking), so I hope to post photos soon.

Comments

  1. Since you asked... :)

    Part of the reason I think for the bad kids' behavior (which is mostly isolated, but obnoxious to the point of rampant these days, unfortunately) is the fact that the offending kids' parents do not either call them out on their behavior, nor do they discipline these kids, ever. I think there is a view that:

    discipline=parent not being nice

    parent not being nice=parent not in that "friend" role so many parents are aiming for these days (why no idea, guilt over absence, guilt over own parents' absence growing up, not sure)

    Then transitive property there-out...

    Anyway, just my own theory...

    My own recent story: I caught two kids taking BRICKS from the trim in our front yard, digging them up and just going to leave with them. So I came out and asked where they thought they were going with the bricks, and added in that some car windows had been bashed in lately and I would not wish for them to be the ones caught with bricks in hand etc. (true story re the cars, great thinking there on my part for a change). They looked totally mortified, prob. because usually no one calls them on their BS. Well guess what - they put the bricks down, apologized, and literally RAN OFF. This was also in broad daylight, and another neighbor saw it as well and commended me for saying something bc they were too gutless to do so.

    So I commend you for saying something as well, which I think is a step in the right direction (speaking up, not confrontationally just with some thought-provocation behind it if the kids are of an age to know better). Though I am so sorry these kids got semi-aggressive/ disrespectful and continued their lame behaviors - that stinks, but glad you're OK just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree Kristin and I appreciate your input. I wonder what exactly prompted that "parent being a friend" phenomenon. I mean, I get along with my parents and my mom is one of my best friends now, but even back then I knew she was my mom FIRST!

    I'm glad you said something to the kids regarding the bricks. That's a whole other issue... lack of respect for peoples' property (which a lot of adults display today also), but well, thanks for reading and responding. You gave me even more to think about!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts