Who is this woman writing?
I suppose I should say more about myself or something -- you know, explain my life... as if that would be a short entry! :-)
I'm a 30-year-old Christian woman living in my hometown. Yep, a California native. I moved around A LOT in my 20s -- lived in 3 other states and D.C., plus in other parts of California in short span of time -- but somehow no place really feels like home when family is far away. My parents both live here, my stepbrothers are here, my grandma and several aunts and uncles are either here, or within a two-hour drive, so it seemed only logical that if I was going to make someplace home (at least, for now), it should be here.
I recently (Oct. 2005) married my best friend whom I thought I'd never find. He's awesome, really. He's very, very smart and funny, great looking, very honest and honorable. Wants the best for people, especially those he loves. He has a big heart, but doesn't want people to know that because he doesn't want to be vulnerable... but I know and it makes me love him more. He drives me crazy, yet keeps me sane. I love him so much. We met online (eHarmony.com is the best) and clearly God was at work in the situation. We live in a 80+ year old building in Central San Diego. The building wasn't very well maintained, unfortunately, but we refinished the hardwood floors ourselves when we moved in and the place does have character (but no closet space), so for now, it's good for us. Eventually we'd like to own a home, but well, for anyone who's seen home prices in this area, you'd realize that for us, right now, buying a house is not an option. We hope to own our own place in the next 5 years.
I recently earned my Master's degree in Mass Communication and Media Studies. I worked as a full-time journalist for 7 years before I went back to school. I loved and will always love reporting and writing, but reporting can take over your life if you're not careful. I wanted a family and well, I didn't think I could be the best wife and mom and the best reporter, so I chose to go back to school so that I could hopefully teach journalism or be a freelance writer and be a great wife and mom. If I can't teach, I'd love to do PR and promotion for a scrapbooking company or write for a scrapbooking magazine. Those are the dreams...
The reality is I work at a university, but right now, not as a professor. I did teach my first class last semester and it was fantastic, but without a Ph.D a full-time job teaching here isn't a possibility right now. So, I still have my other job. It's not my favorite thing, but I'm grateful to have it and be able to pay my bills. A few of the people I work with are awesome and that gets me through the bad days.
For me, life right now is work and trying to do some side projects (helping start a cutting-edge writing lab for the J-program here and starting a family photography business). DH and I hope to start a family soon (toward the end of the year, fingers crossed) and move to a bigger place. We're both hoping to find more inspirational jobs that might pay slightly better. We're looking for a new church. We're working on getting healthier. And as you can see from my post yesterday, this year is going to be all about finding satisfaction in where I'm at in life... being completely contented with who and what I am, so that being more isn't as much of a mandate (to satisfy the perfectionist), but a casual aspiration.
My loves right now are: scrapbooking/creating art (loving the creative outlet -- the ability to write and create without boundaries), taking photographs and honing my skills as a photographer and photo editor, reading great books, rediscovering music via my iPod, walks in our neighborhood, cooking healthy and TASTY food and being creative with my kitchen tools, watching shows such as: "Dancing with the Stars, Project Runway, America's Next Top Model, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, The Office, Top Chef, The Amazing Race" and anything on the Food Network ('cept Rachael Ray -- can't stand her voice), be with my husband and showing my family who I am as an adult woman.
This is me right now. I'm feeling really satisfied with who I am today. I can be better, but I'm good now. I will change. Change is good. Now is good. It's all good.
So, it's Tuesday... feels like Friday. The neverending project at work is well, neverending! My back is killing me and I have a lot more to do. I'm taking high res photos of 60 years of newspaper articles for a anniversary project. AHHHHH!
Tonight will be about a walk in the neighborhood, cleaning up the kitchen and my desk area and spending some time with DH before I go back to my personal project for the week. I'm working on trying to teach myself some things about Photoshop and the like to create a custom blog header for myself, but it's slow going. I also intended to post some pictures I took over the last weekend last night, but alas, my wireless connection at home (at least to my computer) was wonky, so those will have to come tonight as well.
I'm a 30-year-old Christian woman living in my hometown. Yep, a California native. I moved around A LOT in my 20s -- lived in 3 other states and D.C., plus in other parts of California in short span of time -- but somehow no place really feels like home when family is far away. My parents both live here, my stepbrothers are here, my grandma and several aunts and uncles are either here, or within a two-hour drive, so it seemed only logical that if I was going to make someplace home (at least, for now), it should be here.
I recently (Oct. 2005) married my best friend whom I thought I'd never find. He's awesome, really. He's very, very smart and funny, great looking, very honest and honorable. Wants the best for people, especially those he loves. He has a big heart, but doesn't want people to know that because he doesn't want to be vulnerable... but I know and it makes me love him more. He drives me crazy, yet keeps me sane. I love him so much. We met online (eHarmony.com is the best) and clearly God was at work in the situation. We live in a 80+ year old building in Central San Diego. The building wasn't very well maintained, unfortunately, but we refinished the hardwood floors ourselves when we moved in and the place does have character (but no closet space), so for now, it's good for us. Eventually we'd like to own a home, but well, for anyone who's seen home prices in this area, you'd realize that for us, right now, buying a house is not an option. We hope to own our own place in the next 5 years.
I recently earned my Master's degree in Mass Communication and Media Studies. I worked as a full-time journalist for 7 years before I went back to school. I loved and will always love reporting and writing, but reporting can take over your life if you're not careful. I wanted a family and well, I didn't think I could be the best wife and mom and the best reporter, so I chose to go back to school so that I could hopefully teach journalism or be a freelance writer and be a great wife and mom. If I can't teach, I'd love to do PR and promotion for a scrapbooking company or write for a scrapbooking magazine. Those are the dreams...
The reality is I work at a university, but right now, not as a professor. I did teach my first class last semester and it was fantastic, but without a Ph.D a full-time job teaching here isn't a possibility right now. So, I still have my other job. It's not my favorite thing, but I'm grateful to have it and be able to pay my bills. A few of the people I work with are awesome and that gets me through the bad days.
For me, life right now is work and trying to do some side projects (helping start a cutting-edge writing lab for the J-program here and starting a family photography business). DH and I hope to start a family soon (toward the end of the year, fingers crossed) and move to a bigger place. We're both hoping to find more inspirational jobs that might pay slightly better. We're looking for a new church. We're working on getting healthier. And as you can see from my post yesterday, this year is going to be all about finding satisfaction in where I'm at in life... being completely contented with who and what I am, so that being more isn't as much of a mandate (to satisfy the perfectionist), but a casual aspiration.
My loves right now are: scrapbooking/creating art (loving the creative outlet -- the ability to write and create without boundaries), taking photographs and honing my skills as a photographer and photo editor, reading great books, rediscovering music via my iPod, walks in our neighborhood, cooking healthy and TASTY food and being creative with my kitchen tools, watching shows such as: "Dancing with the Stars, Project Runway, America's Next Top Model, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, The Office, Top Chef, The Amazing Race" and anything on the Food Network ('cept Rachael Ray -- can't stand her voice), be with my husband and showing my family who I am as an adult woman.
This is me right now. I'm feeling really satisfied with who I am today. I can be better, but I'm good now. I will change. Change is good. Now is good. It's all good.
So, it's Tuesday... feels like Friday. The neverending project at work is well, neverending! My back is killing me and I have a lot more to do. I'm taking high res photos of 60 years of newspaper articles for a anniversary project. AHHHHH!
Tonight will be about a walk in the neighborhood, cleaning up the kitchen and my desk area and spending some time with DH before I go back to my personal project for the week. I'm working on trying to teach myself some things about Photoshop and the like to create a custom blog header for myself, but it's slow going. I also intended to post some pictures I took over the last weekend last night, but alas, my wireless connection at home (at least to my computer) was wonky, so those will have to come tonight as well.

Thanks for introducing yourself so wonderfully (I can definitly tell that you are a writer!) Congrats on your marriage and I wish you a happy future! Thought I'd check out your blog again ... looking forward to seeing more of your creations! Kim
ReplyDelete