So, What's Been Going On?

I know I'm always saying I'm busy, and I'm not usually exaggerating, but lately I've been a bit vague about what's been occupying my time. Sure, it's all the normal things ... work, photography, sewing class, etc. But there have been other things going on as well.

We have lived in a one bedroom apartment in a very old building since we got married. It is certainly not the ideal place, but we stayed because the price was good and we were hoping that when my husband found a permanent job we might be able to buy a place of our own. Well, about a week before we were set to leave for San Francisco I got a call asking why we had not turned in our keys to our property management company.

I honestly thought the woman had called the wrong person.

I told her we weren't moving and told her our apartment number and she said she knew who I was and that they'd sent us an eviction notice in December.

Excuse me?

I asked her if she was kidding, because certainly she was... I mean, why would they be evicting us? We weren't late on our rent at all. We're good tenants and never cause trouble. There had been no warning, no comments, nothing.

Her response: The owner just wants you out.

Well then, I mean, that's a logical reason. That's like that stupid, "Because I said so" response that your parents give you when they don't have a real reason for asking you to do something. Unfortunately, under the law, they don't have to have a reason to evict us, just give proper notice. But see, they didn't give proper notice to us, otherwise it wouldn't have been such a shock now, would it?

I hung up the phone and talked to my husband. We decided to consult an attorney because regardless of the circumstances we weren't going to be forced out on their terms. According to our lawyer, because we were not properly notified under the law we couldn't be removed from our place.

After much conversation with Steve we decided there was a reason this was happening. And despite the fact that the timing was horrible and we aren't in the financial position to move right now, I wrote a letter to the property management company telling them that in an act of good faith we would give our 60 days notice and move out.

We decided we certainly weren't going to stick around a place we weren't wanted, particularly when there was no reason to not want us here. So, we figured it was time to move. We have been looking for a new place since we got back from San Francisco. And thanks be to God, we found a great place in North County that has 2 bedrooms and a full size washer and dryer in the unit! WOO HOO!

So, since then we've been planning and packing, a bit at a time. We're doing the "big" move on March 30 and our day to turn in our keys to our current place is April 6.

So, if you don't see me around much, that's why... a bit of drama, but a blessing in disguise. I'll post pictures of our new place once we're settled in.

Time for bed...

Comments

  1. That is totally WEIRD!! Tom and I can't believe that they would do that! I hope you end up loving your new place! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What the...? That is so insane. Hopefully this is a nudge towards a new, better place.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts