Time to GROW... my word of the year


This will be the fifth year I've chosen a word for the year. I wanted to look back and see my words and figure out if I really felt like I focused on them, so:

In 2007, my word was CONTENTED.
In 2008, my word was FREE.
In 2009, my word was THRIVE.
In 2010, my word was HOPE.

Somehow making that little coaster book with my word in 2007 really seemed to focus me. I kept coming back to the word contented and really searching in my thoughts, my prayers, my daily living to find contentedness and peace. I think that was a perfect word for that year. In 2007 there was a lot of transition for me... no more graduate school, a new job, a still pretty new marriage. Finding contentment in life was key amidst all of that change.

Honestly, I could not remember my word for 2008. In retrospect, I remember very little of 2008, honestly. I just ran myself into the ground that year and I don't think the word free was anywhere to be found. Maybe I should have picked free again this year?

The fact that I picked thrive for 2009 is quite magical in many ways. Being as though it was probably the hardest year in my memory, the idea of finding ways to thrive amidst the challenges was a good one. I remember thinking about thriving when I was sitting in the waiting room when my mom was having a bunch of needle biopsies at the beginning of her cancer journey. For me, 2009 was a year of growth. I think my relationship with my mom grew tremendously and for that, I could not be more grateful -- grateful that she is still here with me and for how close we are and have been. I also think 2009 brought a lot of growth and thriving in my marriage and I am so thankful for that. Something shifted between the two of us and we really became solidified as a we in so many ways.

Last year's word, hope, was right by my side the entire time. Sure, there were moments in 2010 when I was down, but for the most part, I felt hopeful that my mom had gotten through her treatments, that my husband had found a new job at the end of the year and that I had really seemed to make a clearing for new things in my life. Last year was about growth. It was about pushing through when things were just utterly frustrating. It was about really being an adult, yet maintaining that childlike wonder.

And this year, well this year...

I want to grow in my faith, you know, "roll around" in the Bible and really have God's word be fertilizer for my soul.

I can be a better photographer and photography business owner. I know this and I want to be better, I have to grow in my skills and business abilities. I never thought I was perfect to begin with, but I'm actually taking to time read books, take classes and improve my skills, so things can go from good to great!

Our marriage can continue to grow... it can be deeper, stronger, even more fulfilling than it already is. I hope 2011 is the year that happens.

Professional (job) growth is definitely on the agenda for this year.

I finally got a garden plot after 9 months on the list, so I'm hoping to grow our own veggies and really "greenify" my thumb.

And finally, I am hopeful that this is the year I begin to grow a baby for our family... a wonderful blessing and growth experience to be sure!

So, we'll see how all this growing goes. I ordered myself a necklace with Christmas gift money to remind myself to grow as much, and as often, as possible. I'm also working on some grow pages and crafty projects for myself, and amazingly I just won a spot in this class. Learning new artistic skills will be a growth experience for sure!

Comments

  1. Great post, Kim! Can't wait to hear updates about how you're growing in all the areas you mentioned...exciting! =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts