Older, wiser, blah, blah, blah...
First was this awesome birthday card. If you've never watched, "The Office," you should. It's one of the funniest shows! This card opens with a recording of Michael talking about reverse psychology, thus the message on the outside of the card. DH's message was equally funny (and cute).Here's my gift from my hubby! I can now wake up to my iPod. I love my iLuv! He also bought me a new iPod case and a Pooh and Friends ornament for our tree this year. My hubby knows me well and was very generous! I love you babe!



From the library, we walked through toward the conservatory and the galleries. Behind the main "house" on the estate (which was under renovation), there was a great lawn lined by statues and ending in a HUGE stone fountain. Here's mom complying with my request to act like the statue.


From there we went into the conservatory, which was really interesting. Among the most interesting things were these HUGE water lilies with this special kind of lily flower. Here's the pod for it. Kinda spooky, eh? I have to look up what kind of water lily it was, but it blooms very infrequently. The lily pads that went with it were like 4 times the size of my head! So cool!

Pretty cool, eh?Anyway, they have simply amazing grounds at the Huntington, and among the gardens, is, of course, a rose garden. Here's one of many pics I took there:

And they also have a Japanese garden which has been there since the 1920s... which to me is simply amazing considering how incredible it still looks today.
Shortly after visiting the Japanese garden, we said good-bye to the Huntington after our 4 hour visit. We then drove to Old Town Pasadena to go to Dots Cupcakes, which I found online. Here's what we took home with us as my "birthday cake."

They were pretty good, but not the best I've ever had. I must say though, they're very cute to look at and photograph! My mom gave me the great present of a fantastic day away with her, paid for my trip to the library, cupcakes and dinner with DH at Chili's. On top of it all, she gave me a few new shirts and two new skirts (all needed, my wardrobe is so-so right now). My mom is the best for many reasons, this day being one of them!
On Saturday I worked and then attended a baby shower for my friend, Kristen. Kristen gave me a nice gift card to one of my favorite places, Golden Spoon . Wow, did she take home a good haul for her baby boy... it was incredible! After the party, DH took me to a cheap dinner and we hung out at home. On Sunday we caught up on stuff we needed to take care of and later that night met up with my friends Amy, Iris and Karen and their husbands (and little Lila) for dinner at Parkhouse Eatery. Seriously, seriously yummy! I had mac and cheese (made with several yummy cheeses) with grilled scallops on top. SO good. I got lots more cool gifts, including this cute clutch handmade by Iris:
Isn't it adorable? I love the fabrics she chose!
All in all, it was a great birthday weekend, with a bit of work thrown in. Oh well, such is life, right?
Lots of other stuff has been going on in my life recently, some I will probably mention later, and some which I'm not anywhere near ready to talk about. One thing that is new... I am on a diet. Well, more like I'm on a "permanent lifestyle change journey" which includes, among other things, cutting out most processed carbs from my diet. It's not that bad, except I miss bread a lot. This is something I need to do for my health and well-being though (and is why you never see pics of me on my own blog... something I want to change), so if it means very little to no bread anymore, so be it.
I'm on day 4, which if you read Martha Beck's latest book, is the point at which the new changes you make in life (regardless of type of change) start to form into habit... I can't say I disagree. I do already feel better and hopefully this will help with a lot of things. My endocrinologist also ordered some blood tests for me, which required the lab to stick me several times, however 8 times is way more than they should have had to stick me! I was so peeved on Tuesday when it took them 8 tries to get the four blood draws they needed! Now I have the bruises to testify to their incompetence! Oh well, it's all for the best I guess.
So, to help with my new lifestyle, I made myself this food journal. Lovin' the new Basic Grey Mellow paper. I actually restrained myself and bought just this sheet even though I want the whole collection. I love the combo of the buttons and flowers and stuff on the journal (which I bought for $.99 at Target and then covered). I hope it holds up for a while.
I guess that brings me up to the present. I'm in crunch mode for the tradeshow, which begins next Wednesday (well, Thursday, but I set up on Wednesday). I'm kinda nervous about it, but I'm sure it will all be fine. I've got to go back to work now that my lunch is over. Hope everyone has a good weekend... I've got a photo shoot with 3-year-old twins Saturday and some projects to finish up for myself and Scrappin' Attack, but I hope to have a very chill Labor Day with my honey before my chaotic week begins.

Happy belated birthday! :) Tom and I enjoyed your newsy post! Hope to see you sometime soon!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you had such a great birthday. I love Huntington - fun place to spend your day. :)
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday! =) We're sorry we're late with our greeting, but glad that it was memorable!
ReplyDeleteLOVE the cupcake shot! Incredible looking eats. And Huntington looked like a great day also (just hope it was not TOO hot up there!). Glad it all worked out!
ReplyDeleteI know, our baby-boy-to-be is already spoiled. Sigh...