Seven things I've learned or reconfirmed recently...
1. I am a world champion worrier. I mean, if it were an Olympic sport I'd be freekin' Michael (well, Michelle) Phelps. I'm getting better about not letting my worries take control of me, but seemingly I still slip and obsess over things I most certainly cannot control.
2. I still love Fresh & Easy. Sure, it has its shortcomings, but honestly, they have some tasty stuff and their prices are very reasonable. Two of my latest finds and new favorites: Lemon Cilantro Hummus and the Rosemary Foccacia that you bake at home. Mmmmm.
3. This could be one of the best books I've ever read. I cannot express adequately how much I respect Brene Brown for the work she's done. If you're a woman and you struggle with feeling inadequate/measuring up/perfectionism, this book could be life changing for you.
4. Never doubt the power of a cute purse to effectively distract you from your worries. I NEVER get fixated on purses, but I saw this purse a while ago during a once-in-a-long-while trip to the mall and thought it was cute, but way too pricey. I rediscovered it recently when on eBay and, after diligent work on my husband's part, this purse found its way to my shoulder. I did not pay full price for it and yes, I know it's impractical, but I still really like it.
5. I love this paper and this entire line from American Crafts. With the surge in popularity of sites such as Etsy and the "handmade" movement, it's not a surprise the scrapbooking companies came out with these products for the season.
6. When I'm worrying about other things, potentially good stuff sneaks up on me. Case in point, it's hard for me to believe that Easter will be here in just under two weeks! I know part of the reason it has come upon me so quickly is that I have not attended Lenten services this year. I have found a church close to us that I think could be our new church home, but I need to do some more in-person investigation to be sure. Needless to say, there are no Easter decorations up at our house (boo hoo... I love Easter decor), but I hope to make it to Good Friday service, as well as Easter Sunday services. I also found these which I hope to order and receive before the holiday. I have had trouble finding eggs with resurrection panoramas inside, so if you have a recommendation, please leave me a link.
7. As much as I aspire to be this person who successfully collects and displays little bits of eclectic items, I'm just not one of those people. I yearn to be that person who can walk into any thrift or antique store and just have delightfully quirky items leap into my hands... as if it even happened that way. Now, maybe I'm looking in the wrong shops or at the wrong times (I know there is a knack to finding cool things in places like that), but almost always when I go into a thrift store I find N-O-T-H-I-N-G! Now see, if I were Lisa Congdon, a San Francisco mixed-media artist whom I greatly admire, I'd be able to walk into those places and find random plates and end up with this, but I'm SO not her. Oh, and another thing, while a few really cool, vintage items would be great, I'm also not really knick-knacky by nature... so well, there is that too.
My mom's meeting with the surgeon for a second opinion went very well and she asked the doctor, who is a part of the UCSD Moores Cancer Center to do her surgery. She's in the midst of getting more tests, including an MRI on Wednesday. The MRI is done to see if there is any cancer that was missed by the mammogram in either breast, as well as to more clearly visualize the tumor we already know she has on her right side. After that, as well as a repeat mammogram and ultrasound, the surgery will be scheduled. We're just praying that the tumor they already found is the only one and that they can get a good, solid picture of it since a clip normally implanted during a biopsy to locate a cancer was not deployed properly when my mom's biopsy was done.
Everything else I last wrote about is the same. Oh wait, that's not true. Steve bought me a phone -- a used version of the phone I lost. He's a sweetie! So, I have a cell phone again, in case you needed to know. My number is the same.
So well, my head is pointed forward and I'm putting one foot ahead of the other. Later gators.
2. I still love Fresh & Easy. Sure, it has its shortcomings, but honestly, they have some tasty stuff and their prices are very reasonable. Two of my latest finds and new favorites: Lemon Cilantro Hummus and the Rosemary Foccacia that you bake at home. Mmmmm.
3. This could be one of the best books I've ever read. I cannot express adequately how much I respect Brene Brown for the work she's done. If you're a woman and you struggle with feeling inadequate/measuring up/perfectionism, this book could be life changing for you.
4. Never doubt the power of a cute purse to effectively distract you from your worries. I NEVER get fixated on purses, but I saw this purse a while ago during a once-in-a-long-while trip to the mall and thought it was cute, but way too pricey. I rediscovered it recently when on eBay and, after diligent work on my husband's part, this purse found its way to my shoulder. I did not pay full price for it and yes, I know it's impractical, but I still really like it.
5. I love this paper and this entire line from American Crafts. With the surge in popularity of sites such as Etsy and the "handmade" movement, it's not a surprise the scrapbooking companies came out with these products for the season.
6. When I'm worrying about other things, potentially good stuff sneaks up on me. Case in point, it's hard for me to believe that Easter will be here in just under two weeks! I know part of the reason it has come upon me so quickly is that I have not attended Lenten services this year. I have found a church close to us that I think could be our new church home, but I need to do some more in-person investigation to be sure. Needless to say, there are no Easter decorations up at our house (boo hoo... I love Easter decor), but I hope to make it to Good Friday service, as well as Easter Sunday services. I also found these which I hope to order and receive before the holiday. I have had trouble finding eggs with resurrection panoramas inside, so if you have a recommendation, please leave me a link.
7. As much as I aspire to be this person who successfully collects and displays little bits of eclectic items, I'm just not one of those people. I yearn to be that person who can walk into any thrift or antique store and just have delightfully quirky items leap into my hands... as if it even happened that way. Now, maybe I'm looking in the wrong shops or at the wrong times (I know there is a knack to finding cool things in places like that), but almost always when I go into a thrift store I find N-O-T-H-I-N-G! Now see, if I were Lisa Congdon, a San Francisco mixed-media artist whom I greatly admire, I'd be able to walk into those places and find random plates and end up with this, but I'm SO not her. Oh, and another thing, while a few really cool, vintage items would be great, I'm also not really knick-knacky by nature... so well, there is that too.
My mom's meeting with the surgeon for a second opinion went very well and she asked the doctor, who is a part of the UCSD Moores Cancer Center to do her surgery. She's in the midst of getting more tests, including an MRI on Wednesday. The MRI is done to see if there is any cancer that was missed by the mammogram in either breast, as well as to more clearly visualize the tumor we already know she has on her right side. After that, as well as a repeat mammogram and ultrasound, the surgery will be scheduled. We're just praying that the tumor they already found is the only one and that they can get a good, solid picture of it since a clip normally implanted during a biopsy to locate a cancer was not deployed properly when my mom's biopsy was done.
Everything else I last wrote about is the same. Oh wait, that's not true. Steve bought me a phone -- a used version of the phone I lost. He's a sweetie! So, I have a cell phone again, in case you needed to know. My number is the same.
So well, my head is pointed forward and I'm putting one foot ahead of the other. Later gators.

I have to admit the purse is cute, and maybe even practical...with all those colors it has to match a lot of things! =)
ReplyDeleteWe're still praying for your mom and appreciate the update. Keep us posted!