Thriving Quote for the Week
An oldie, but a goodie...
"... The only thing we have to fear is fear itself -- nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance."
-- President Franklin D. Roosevelt - March 4, 1933
This was on my Starbucks coffee sleeve this morning and I kept it; I cut it out and put it right in front of my computer screen at my desk.
Clearly what FDR was speaking of was much more of a palpable, actual terror than what most of us face on a daily basis, but think about it for a minute -- doesn't your fear hold you back from growing and learning? I know mine does. It may not be an obvious fear, but perhaps something more subtle, and almost more sinister... fear of failure, fear of being laughed at or rejected by those you care about, fear of stepping outside of your daily routine and just doing something different.
I'm going to challenge myself to take two steps outside of my routine this week. First, I'm going to limit how much television I watch. My normal routine involves some television every day and this week I'm going to limit that amount and try and spend more time doing something else -- cleaning, reading, making fun stuff or sleeping. I'm not sure what fears exactly are keeping me from challenging my routine a bit more, but here's my chance to shake things up a bit.
My second step outside of my routine is to work out on my lunch break 3 days a week. I think as afraid as I am that it will make me exhausted, I am excited to see if the opposite happens and I become a more energetic version of my current self. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday are my days to go. I've got my backpack with my gym clothes in the trunk of the car. No excuses (well, except on Wednesday I have a meeting in Orange County at lunch time, so I'll go when I get back from that). Who knows what "advances" I might make by taking these steps?
Is there a fear that is making you retreat instead of advance? Wanna take a step with me? If you do, post your action in the comments. I'll send good thoughts/prayers/vibes -- whatever you think will help -- your way.
I am hoping this week is better than last week. I'm praying for work for all of the people I love who don't have jobs right now. I'm praying for healing for my mom who was in a car accident this past Friday. She's got a neck sprain, and some bad bruising, but it could have been MUCH worse and I'm so grateful she's OK.
Don't retreat -- advance! I'll check in with you soon!
"... The only thing we have to fear is fear itself -- nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance."
-- President Franklin D. Roosevelt - March 4, 1933
This was on my Starbucks coffee sleeve this morning and I kept it; I cut it out and put it right in front of my computer screen at my desk.
Clearly what FDR was speaking of was much more of a palpable, actual terror than what most of us face on a daily basis, but think about it for a minute -- doesn't your fear hold you back from growing and learning? I know mine does. It may not be an obvious fear, but perhaps something more subtle, and almost more sinister... fear of failure, fear of being laughed at or rejected by those you care about, fear of stepping outside of your daily routine and just doing something different.
I'm going to challenge myself to take two steps outside of my routine this week. First, I'm going to limit how much television I watch. My normal routine involves some television every day and this week I'm going to limit that amount and try and spend more time doing something else -- cleaning, reading, making fun stuff or sleeping. I'm not sure what fears exactly are keeping me from challenging my routine a bit more, but here's my chance to shake things up a bit.
My second step outside of my routine is to work out on my lunch break 3 days a week. I think as afraid as I am that it will make me exhausted, I am excited to see if the opposite happens and I become a more energetic version of my current self. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday are my days to go. I've got my backpack with my gym clothes in the trunk of the car. No excuses (well, except on Wednesday I have a meeting in Orange County at lunch time, so I'll go when I get back from that). Who knows what "advances" I might make by taking these steps?
Is there a fear that is making you retreat instead of advance? Wanna take a step with me? If you do, post your action in the comments. I'll send good thoughts/prayers/vibes -- whatever you think will help -- your way.
I am hoping this week is better than last week. I'm praying for work for all of the people I love who don't have jobs right now. I'm praying for healing for my mom who was in a car accident this past Friday. She's got a neck sprain, and some bad bruising, but it could have been MUCH worse and I'm so grateful she's OK.
Don't retreat -- advance! I'll check in with you soon!

Hey, that's great about the tv and working out! =) And I'm sorry to hear about your mom, but glad it wasn't serious. Yikes!
ReplyDeleteBTW - my hubby got work! Yay, God! He will probably start next Wednesday, and I'll post about it on our blog soon. Thanks for praying!