Recovery, chemotherapy, and the Long Road
My apologies on the lack of updates. To be honest there hasn't been much time to do anything but what NEEDS to be done, so the blog has taken a bit of a backseat.
Since I last wrote here are some of the things that have happened:
- Mom decided not to have a second surgery to remove more lymph nodes. Her doctors wholeheartedly supported her decision and she hasn't looked back.
- The primary doctor now overseeing my mom's care is an oncologist. She gave my mom several potential options of what is called "adjuvent therapy" following surgery.
- Mom has decided to undergo hormone therapy for the next 5 years (her tumors are very sensitive to estrogen, so if the amount of estrogen is reduced in her body there is less likelihood that the tumors will pop up and grow other places -- having Estrogen+ tumors is a good thing in this case) and undergo an 8-week course of what is considered "well-tolerated" chemotherapy. She had a port placed in her chest to receive the chemo yesterday and also underwent a series of CT scans to ensure that there aren't any tumors anywhere else in her body. The doctor will likely give my mom the results tomorrow.
- I have returned from my full-time FMLA leave. As of now, I am back working at the office "full-time" and only take time off to go with mom to her appointments and will take time to help following her chemotherapy infusions as needed. Being back here is not easy and things here are just as they were before I left. Yeah! Just pile on more stress, please!
- Steve has been on several interviews, but so far, nothing has been the right fit. Bummer. I still have faith that the right job is just around the corner, but could we get around the corner NOW? Steve's a great worker and our finances could use the boost!
Basically, I bounce from work, to home or mom's depending on the day, to sleeping, to back to work, to doctor appointments, to work, and so on. I've also had some photo shoots recently, so you could add in some photo shooting/editing into the mix also.
I wish I had something cheerfully thrilling to report, but honestly, this is my life right now. Thankfully, mom has recovered from her surgery well and we're hoping that this next phase of treatment will make it so the reconstruction is the last surgery she has to have in life! Please pray that my mom has the easiest time possible with chemo. She's been doing a great job being an upbeat, obedient patient so far, but it's a long road.


Hugs to you guys during a most difficult time.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for the update, Kim. I've been wondering, and we'll keep praying.
ReplyDeleteI know this must come odd from a complete stranger. I found your blog via Ali Edwards. I just wanted to wish you the best... I can only imagine how difficult it is right now. Have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteHey, how are you??? I'd love an update when you can squeeze in the time!
ReplyDelete