It's sad...

We've been here before... yet it's never been this bad.

Four years ago, I was out there... mask and goggles on, covering the Cedar Fire as a reporter. I stood next to people as they found out, for the first time, they'd lost everything. Despite trying to remain "neutral," I cried with people. I returned to one woman's home to find her family's china collection in a melted heap on the ground. I returned a swan head, all I could find that seemed recognizable, to her. She hugged me. She couldn't go back to see the ashes of her home that once sat in the middle of a beautiful, yet dry Oak grove. I will never forget her face or the stories she told me.

It wasn't my first fire to cover, quite the contrary. But nevertheless, it was harder. This was my home. It's where I was born. San Diego is in my heart always and to see it burn, to see my neighbors suffer, kills me.

So far all of my family and their homes, are safe. But there are friends, and co-workers, that are out of their homes... and they may not have a home to return to in a few days. It really breaks my heart.

It's on every channel here. Fire all the time. Every television station. Every radio station. I despise the 24-hour news cycle. It's not conducive to good reporting. It's irresponsible, but I guess necessary in this day and age. At work today I had to put on Internet radio for a break, only to check the best websites all day and find out what was going on.

San Diego will recover and will grow stronger, but this damage is severe and widespread. Tomorrow I'm supposed to return to my home office for work, but right now it's in a mandatory evacuation area and one of the places hardest hit by the Witch Creek fire. I'm not sure I want to go. I am not sure I will go. If it's still under mandatory evacuation orders, I won't be there. I've seen too many stupid people return before it's safe and I won't be one of those people. We'll see what happens...

On a happier note, yesterday (which seems like SO long ago) my husband and I marked our second year as husband and wife. There was no fanfare. Some love shared and some time together. We've put off a nice dinner and card exchange until this weekend. I am proud and honored to be his wife. I love you honey!

Comments

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Two years - that's great! =)

    We're praying for all you folks out there affected by these fires...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been horrible to watch - Jason and I kind of wish we were still there just so we could do something to help. He assisted Julian residents last time and is so sad that so many people are going through this all again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, you spotted them! I put him in the jeans as much as I can...so cute! =) Lots of people comment, too. Very fun! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts